Tuesday, August 18, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE

"It could save your life. HUNDREDS OF COLLISIONS." That's what the signs say on the side of many roads in New Hampshire. Until this past Sunday, I was not convinced that there were any actual moose in NH (having never seen one myself), and wondered if the signs were just more roadside clutter as part of a government conspiracy to get people to slow down. However, as this video shows, they do exist, and it's not the moose you have to watch out for on the road, per se. This was on US 302 just east of Twin Mountain, NH.



I recently got a new Canon PowerShot SD960 camera, which can shoot 720p HD videos as well as still photos. I'm generally not a fan of video blog postings, but I'm experimenting with the process in this post. One problem is that my old and feeble laptop can't display the video without transcoding it to something smaller or lower bitrate. We'll see how bad this looks after Google re-encodes it yet again. Also, please excuse my very amateur cinematography, including excessive digital zoom. At least I was holding the camera in the right orientation (maybe a story for another time.)

No comments: