Saturday, September 6, 2008

Butterflies

Edith says I have to start posting things on this blog now, like where we go on hikes and bikes. I'll get to that soon, but first, I'll talk about some photos that I recently uploaded.

When my parents were visiting us in July, we had an empty afternoon with nothing planned, so we went to the Butterfly Place in Westford. This is a big indoor garden/greenhouse type place, and they've stocked it with hundreds of butterflies. There is a path to wander around, and there are ample opportunities to take photographs. The butterflies are reasonably cooperative -- most sit pretty still and let you get pretty close -- but in some shots I still had some problems holding the camera steady enough to minimize motion blur. Part of the problem was that it was cloudy and rainy while we were there, so there wasn't as much light as there might be on a sunny day (meaning longer exposure times), but I also took many of the shots near the 300mm end of the 75-300mm zoom lens. Maybe I will bring a tripod next time.

Anyways, here is the gallery.

No comments: